Bravo List
Register
Go Back   > Bravo List > P2P > Forum > Community Cafe
Old 10th July 2008, 18:21
VIP

Netherlands
Default total new script!!! (need ideas)
hi atm im building a compleetly new script
im gonna try to make it better then all others
there is only one problem i need to know what people want

so could you please tell me what kind of source you think is the best and tell me why
i like ..... source
because it ..............

and so one

also tell me what is missing (what do you guys want)

greets from mrdecoder
Old 10th July 2008, 18:23
Banned

P2P
Default Re: total new script!!! (need ideas)
tbdev most secure plenty of mods avaiable,easy to use and add new modifications etc etc
Old 10th July 2008, 22:05

if you want to spend some time on it take the tbdev source and make it xhtml compliant .. that would be a good start. from there you can patch any leftover security holes in the source (there are a few mentioned on the forum .. some have been rectified and others are so simple and very rarely the scripts they are in are ever used that the team probably wont update the source files until they either A. are bored or B. they have to open that script for another reason)

I really wouldnt suggest using any other source as a base code. Personally if i was doing this id go back to winbits which really was virgin and start with minimal scripts but that would be enormous amounts of work with very little payback unless you really get a kick out of long coding sessions :)
Old 11th July 2008, 00:18
VIP

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee
if you want to spend some time on it take the tbdev source and make it xhtml compliant .. that would be a good start. from there you can patch any leftover security holes in the source (there are a few mentioned on the forum .. some have been rectified and others are so simple and very rarely the scripts they are in are ever used that the team probably wont update the source files until they either A. are bored or B. they have to open that script for another reason)

I really wouldnt suggest using any other source as a base code. Personally if i was doing this id go back to winbits which really was virgin and start with minimal scripts but that would be enormous amounts of work with very little payback unless you really get a kick out of long coding sessions :)

why xhtml ?

and what do you think of torrentstrike
the base coding of it its still mostly tbdev coding in that one
Old 11th July 2008, 01:26

make it like yuna scatrina [3 columns]

fast running script [unlike ts where everything has atleast a bug]

dont keep everything ajax [by that i dont mean have NO ajax!]

have a diffrent unique and good looking browse and upload and viewtorrent page..
Old 12th July 2008, 19:54

Quote:
why xhtml ?
New web standards. although the chances of standard HTML becoming obsolete and browsers not supporting it are slim to none its always good to keep up with growing web standards. Plus XHTML is a lot cleaner, it will run on something as small as a mobile phone or PDA whereas HTML wont really work on them (unless the browser on the phone is able to make intelligent decisions). I know theres probably only 1% of users that check torrent sites on their mobiles but thats not really the point. Its keeping up with advancements of standards. But even if you just made it fully HTML compliant it would be better than nothing

------------------

Quote:

have a diffrent unique and good looking browse and upload and viewtorrent page.
something different to a premade source would be better. However if you did go for three columns id go for a left menu and right menu and a main middle part for the content. that way the left and right menus could be made optional so users can switch them off and on in their profiles

fast running scripts is mainly about optimisation. Most scripts on torrent sites can be optimised so that 5 queries can be run as one ect however remember that normal form databases arent the way to go always. You need to weigh out the number of times a query is run to determine whether duplicating data would be a bonus or not.

AJAX is generally bad i agree but i can be very nice too. I would implement some ajax however either provide non-JS alternatives for those with JS disabled (using <noscript> or some other means of detecting if javascript will run and subsequently AJAX) or which i would do is provide both ajax and non-ajax and allow the user to enable/disable ajax either across the whole site or if you want to be more dynamic allow each ajax part to be turned on/off individually.

browse upload and details pages on most sites are pretty much similar and a new look would be great i agree. the browse i guess theres not a lot you can do with. Its main aspect is a table of torrents and it is the only way to really display such data so the best thing with browse would just be to tart it up a little. The upload page i would recommend a sort of application interface where the user selects the category, clicks next, selects the sub-category, clicks next, uploads the torrent file clicks next then enters the title and desc ect. would be pretty smart i think. and finally the torrent details page i would probably say go for a similar layout to the updated userdetails page posted on the tbdev official forum. Its a nice layout that would work well for any page that has to display the details of a specific table record.

Just my 2 cents.. take it or leave it lol :)
Old 13th July 2008, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee
Quote:
why xhtml ?
New web standards. although the chances of standard HTML becoming obsolete and browsers not supporting it are slim to none its always good to keep up with growing web standards. Plus XHTML is a lot cleaner, it will run on something as small as a mobile phone or PDA whereas HTML wont really work on them (unless the browser on the phone is able to make intelligent decisions). I know theres probably only 1% of users that check torrent sites on their mobiles but thats not really the point. Its keeping up with advancements of standards. But even if you just made it fully HTML compliant it would be better than nothing

------------------

[quote:1nijjdhf]

have a diffrent unique and good looking browse and upload and viewtorrent page.
something different to a premade source would be better. However if you did go for three columns id go for a left menu and right menu and a main middle part for the content. that way the left and right menus could be made optional so users can switch them off and on in their profiles

fast running scripts is mainly about optimisation. Most scripts on torrent sites can be optimised so that 5 queries can be run as one ect however remember that normal form databases arent the way to go always. You need to weigh out the number of times a query is run to determine whether duplicating data would be a bonus or not.

AJAX is generally bad i agree but i can be very nice too. I would implement some ajax however either provide non-JS alternatives for those with JS disabled (using <noscript> or some other means of detecting if javascript will run and subsequently AJAX) or which i would do is provide both ajax and non-ajax and allow the user to enable/disable ajax either across the whole site or if you want to be more dynamic allow each ajax part to be turned on/off individually.

browse upload and details pages on most sites are pretty much similar and a new look would be great i agree. the browse i guess theres not a lot you can do with. Its main aspect is a table of torrents and it is the only way to really display such data so the best thing with browse would just be to tart it up a little. The upload page i would recommend a sort of application interface where the user selects the category, clicks next, selects the sub-category, clicks next, uploads the torrent file clicks next then enters the title and desc ect. would be pretty smart i think. and finally the torrent details page i would probably say go for a similar layout to the updated userdetails page posted on the tbdev official forum. Its a nice layout that would work well for any page that has to display the details of a specific table record.

Just my 2 cents.. take it or leave it lol :)[/quote:1nijjdhf]

i just couldnt agree more..perfect script for me! but also it should have a mod where there are less template and php edits to integrate it to 3.7 version of vBulletin i would absolutely be top of the moon if someone does that
Old 13th July 2008, 11:43

Sweden
I would like the possibility to use XBTT tracker instead of some php coded tracker since it would make it more resource efficient and could be useful if you want to build a big tracker.

Regards,
Old 13th July 2008, 16:15
BT.Manager Owner

United States
@ all replies so far how is changing a source creating a new source?
I thought that He asked for ideas as to what you wanted not what you wanted changed is a source!
Ideas
  1. external support[/*:m:3rvrwt0d]
  2. mod friendly[/*:m:3rvrwt0d]
  3. cache system[/*:m:3rvrwt0d]
  4. secure rss feed[/*:m:3rvrwt0d]
  5. server friendly[/*:m:3rvrwt0d]
  6. Data base to use class function to allow for use on more data base systems[/*:m:3rvrwt0d]
just for starters
I will no longer help you setup your site, there is a setup script if you have trouble with it post in the forum here or in BT.Manager™ forum
My Current Demo is here http://demo.btmanager.org/
Old 13th July 2008, 17:58

true joe but whats the point starting from scratch.. tbdev is basically what he will end up with after a few months of coding if he started from scratch. so why make more work for urself :).. and i did say base code :P

Tags
ideas , script , total