View Single Post
Old 13th July 2008, 03:11

Default Re: total new script!!! (need ideas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee
Quote:
why xhtml ?
New web standards. although the chances of standard HTML becoming obsolete and browsers not supporting it are slim to none its always good to keep up with growing web standards. Plus XHTML is a lot cleaner, it will run on something as small as a mobile phone or PDA whereas HTML wont really work on them (unless the browser on the phone is able to make intelligent decisions). I know theres probably only 1% of users that check torrent sites on their mobiles but thats not really the point. Its keeping up with advancements of standards. But even if you just made it fully HTML compliant it would be better than nothing

------------------

[quote:1nijjdhf]
make it like yuna scatrina [3 columns]

fast running script [unlike ts where everything has atleast a bug]

dont keep everything ajax [by that i dont mean have NO ajax!]

have a diffrent unique and good looking browse and upload and viewtorrent page.
something different to a premade source would be better. However if you did go for three columns id go for a left menu and right menu and a main middle part for the content. that way the left and right menus could be made optional so users can switch them off and on in their profiles

fast running scripts is mainly about optimisation. Most scripts on torrent sites can be optimised so that 5 queries can be run as one ect however remember that normal form databases arent the way to go always. You need to weigh out the number of times a query is run to determine whether duplicating data would be a bonus or not.

AJAX is generally bad i agree but i can be very nice too. I would implement some ajax however either provide non-JS alternatives for those with JS disabled (using <noscript> or some other means of detecting if javascript will run and subsequently AJAX) or which i would do is provide both ajax and non-ajax and allow the user to enable/disable ajax either across the whole site or if you want to be more dynamic allow each ajax part to be turned on/off individually.

browse upload and details pages on most sites are pretty much similar and a new look would be great i agree. the browse i guess theres not a lot you can do with. Its main aspect is a table of torrents and it is the only way to really display such data so the best thing with browse would just be to tart it up a little. The upload page i would recommend a sort of application interface where the user selects the category, clicks next, selects the sub-category, clicks next, uploads the torrent file clicks next then enters the title and desc ect. would be pretty smart i think. and finally the torrent details page i would probably say go for a similar layout to the updated userdetails page posted on the tbdev official forum. Its a nice layout that would work well for any page that has to display the details of a specific table record.

Just my 2 cents.. take it or leave it lol :)[/quote:1nijjdhf]

i just couldnt agree more..perfect script for me! but also it should have a mod where there are less template and php edits to integrate it to 3.7 version of vBulletin i would absolutely be top of the moon if someone does that