Thread: Linux Flavours
View Single Post
Old 12th November 2008, 02:41
Retired from BVList

P2P
Thanks for the reply.

I ditched Mandriva as I could not get along with it, the only good part about it was it recognized all my hardware especially my graphics card, unlike so many other distro's that do not like Nvidia cards (6800GT & 8600GT).

I've since been using Ubuntu 8.04 and have reinstalled it several times now after following their forums and it then removing other dependant packages which wiped out virtually all my settings and was left with no gui or even net access. A big downside is that Ubuntu forums are really slow and keep going down constantly.

Have had a look at Arch but I tested it on my other PC which had no net connection so I was not able to test it to it's full potential, will have to try it again then I will be able to install the gui to it. Just wish it was a bit more user friendly for the novice!

I have various distro's that I've burnt over the last few weeks and have tested, Ubuntu 8.04 & 8.10, Mandriva 2009 PowerPack, OpenSuse 11, Fedora 9, Centos, Mint, PC-BSD 7 and probably more.

I have the Debian Etch 4.0r5 DVD's x 3 and as no release date has been confirmed yet for 'Lenny' would that be adequate or would I be better off downloading the 'lenny beta2 release' OR the 'current weekly snapshot' and do I really need to download all the DVD's? or is the first one sufficient, as I presume the other just contain all the packages?

Which would be better Debian or Arch (if I can figure it out)?

Also what gfx card is best for linux in general (make & model).

Last edited by Krypto; 12th November 2008 at 02:46.