View Single Post
Old 1st January 2012, 18:03

P2P
Cool for a large public tracker.....
Really if your going to go with a huge public tracker then you need to consider the xbt tracker backend. And that will limit the source codes you use. The php trackers are not very good after about 15,000 users, and will crap out after 20k. The xbt tracker written in c+ will handle over 100k that I have seen. The only other alternative would be to go with multiple trackers as most of the publics do, this could be a smart move if you go about it like isohunt did and make your own private sites and use their tracker. Other then that for the kind of traffic your suggesting you need the xbt tracker. Also you will need to consider the server side of it. A sad part of this world simply means you will piss people off, and they will attack your site, its just a fact of life especially with a public tracker. You can run all over tryng to make peace with all the private trackers, even let them use you as a dump site, but I think I have to agree with x360 on this one, get a private tracker, get auto uploader, get a strong server, get a coder that knows his crap, and go from there. In the long run if you can make a strong community and keep fresh new torrents and beat others with pre times then you will be good. Get a forum whore to keep the forums active and members involved, pick a theme and stick with it, users get frustrated if they have to learn how to navigate around your site all the time. The elephant in the room that no one has mentioned is how much attention do you want to call to a public tracker? After what has happened with mininova, pirate bay, isohunt, etc., the "authorities are after public trackers, since you make it easy to get all users they will go in and find out all about your site and use it against you, no matter where the server is, Gary Fung thought he was safe running to canada, and the poor bastards over at TPB will be paying fines for the rest of their lives. To me its not worth the crap just to have some n00b uploader fill your site with bad torrents that are filled with viruses and password archives.