View Single Post
Old 4th December 2008, 17:26

i will warn you now .. do not go for a big dedicated server unless your pretty god damn rich .. do not expect donations to come flooding in when you pen.

When i first started torrenting there were only a few sites around compared to today. Thats because you only really had PHP experts opening a torrent site and possibly a few that really wanted to learn a lot more.

Now with the likes of xam's TS source and all the other premods torrent sites open up everyday of the week. So it gives users more choice. From this choice you get 2 problems:

1. Users hit n run on a load of sites.. since most of the new sites download from larger sites like SCT and TL and then upload to their own.. they all roughly have the same "scene" content and they get the stuff around the same time as most of the smaller sites. So with so many small sites users can afford to get banned from 100 sites since theres probably the same amount of sites opening each week or so.

2. Since theres more choice, getting users to "settle" at your site and become a part of it is much harder. And people will not donate to a site they either do not intend on staying at or a site which they expect wont last long.

Try to go with a fair priced and spec'd shared server to begin with. Use it to get your name out there.. You should be able to support 2,000 users on a "fair" shared server... Now i know you probably have ambitions of having 30,ooo users and 100,000 peers minimum but thats not gonna hapen overnight.. however your bank balance could become NULL overnight if your not careful.

But thats just a bit of friendly advice.. take it or leave it.. just dont go with a big server to start with unless your prepared to pay for at least 6 months of that server mostly on your own as donations are getting harder and harder to accumulate for newer sites