Bravo List

Bravo List (http://www.bvlist.com/index.php)
-   Annoucements (http://www.bvlist.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Bravo List Story ! (http://www.bvlist.com/showthread.php?t=1256)

Fynnon 24th October 2008 20:03

Bravo List Story !

attention

Attention

Our goal is to spread the P2P "virus" !

I was thinking of writing this forums story, where it comes from and where it goes!

A few years ago there was a big tracker called torrents.ro that became a forum after some problems they had inside the tracker team.
On this forum people that used to visit the tracker came back and formed a community and by other things they were also talking about torrents and trackers.

Many young people that came from DC++ or just people new to torrents wanted to learn more about torrents and trackers and some even wanted to start a tracker of their own

This guys were asking questions about how a tracker works, how do you install it...etc
There were not many people in the forum wanting to help those begginers and many just wanted to make fun of
them.

Then i tried installing a tracker for myself for the first time (on my pc with XAMPP) and when i saw it`s not so hard
i made a tutorial about tracker installing on a pc...many people responded to that topic wanting to know more!

In the meanwhile tbdev.net stopped supporting any other source other than tbdev so many people that wanted to use other sources felt dissapointed but had no real alternative to tbdev.net (i was one of them)

This things made me thinking of building a forum where people that want to build their own tracker, coders and tracker owners could gather and share ideas and resources .

We started with about 2-3 users on a netmaniack source forum (no torrents in that tracker we were just using its forum) on a free domain, then got the phpBB3 forum and soon bvlist.com domain name ("list" because i wanted a trackers list of all trackers out there)

After about 6 months of phpBB3 we moved to vBulletin thanks to a good friend of ours (which name i can`t disclosure) and here we are...

It`s not easy to run a forum so i tried to get some of our talented members to help me, everybody is doing a great job and we are looking forward to new chalenges and development of this forum !

10x

We`ve started like this:

http://i.imgur.com/3m6gpWQ.jpg

wMan 24th October 2008 20:07

i remember torrent.ro hmmm was that even a tracker? but you have done a great job here fynnon helping out others whom are lost or stuck keep up the good work m8
PS: bored lol become a author.....hehehehe

GaBoNtZ 24th October 2008 23:58

nice storry

this is a nice storry. :)
well, i'm glad you started this forum and thanks to all members of this forum.

joeroberts 26th October 2008 04:04

Good story

Glad some fool from the phpBB3 forum told me about this site as it has helped me allot.
I spent alot of time in the Filesoup forum for a long time but after the bad crash they had last year It just has never recovered as far as torrent sources go.

So here we are I was here when we where on a phpBB3 forum and just working out the kinks and now it is all coming together nicely.
I hope that this site well contennue to grow and prosper. There are allot of good people in here that make this place what it is and we seem to get more and more each day.

Krypto 26th October 2008 13:16

I too am glad that I came across a link to this place, and it's now one of my most regular haunts.

I've learnt quite a bit since my arrival and the Staff & Members are helpful which is always a good sign.

Like Joe I used to go to FileSoup but not very often now as it's not not like it used to be years ago.

Contrats to everyone and long may we continue:friend:

johnake 26th October 2008 23:48

Well, to be honest with you, at first when I came across this site... I was somehow reluctant upon its success, as long as tbdev was around.
But later I found out that it had somethin' special goin' on... so Fynnon got stuck with me. :whistle:
I sure hope that this community will grow even more further in the future.
Good luck to you all!

Dragan3591 27th October 2008 13:01

Man, I was always one of those that linger in a background and just read post and what not. Friend of my gave me this link one day and i posted one post in FTS because I use this source myself and decided to help out a person (btw. many thanks to the creators), and like the next day i came back and the day after and so on. This forum kinda got stuck on me. I love it and I'm proud to be a part of staff on here!!
I wish we outgrow all other communities.

dezza 11th November 2008 19:03

TBdev is bad anyways :coffee: .. Uses print which is slower than echo all trough the script, tables instead of divs, and too many coding styles in it, too many combined forces ..

CoLdFuSiOn 14th November 2008 23:33

I see. That's why TBDev is the most widely used and most visited torrent community site bar none.

What's your claim to fame ?

johnake 15th November 2008 00:09

@dezza... your post is kinda useless and (Fynnon could ban me here) you're kinda silly if you think that tbdev was conceived to be noob friendly. Oh... now you have enough php knowledge to judge the work of some people who in fact give free and unconditional support for choosing print instead of echo. If you're that smart... please... make a tbdev version with the proper modifications.
Playing around with tbdev encouraged me to learn some php, mysql and for the job I have today I owe them a great deal of credit.
If you could surpass your limited thinking, you would in fact realise that above all, tbdev is a learning platform and it depends on YOU to make it better.

Essence 15th November 2008 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezza (Post 6583)
TBdev is bad anyways :coffee: .. Uses print which is slower than echo all trough the script, tables instead of divs, and too many coding styles in it, too many combined forces ..

Although your statement about echo being faster then print is true, it is
only by 111ms faster.. It can make a big difference on a BIG tracker.

Your comment about tbdev being bad is a little childish.
TBDev is also a learning place and will always be that. If you look through posts from staff and others we do point out echo being faster then print and other things such as using mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users when clearly
mysql_query("SELECT username, email FROM users is faster then using other query and also helping them secure there mods.

We do try to enlighten tbdev members of better coding to the best of our knowledge. So you can not say TBDev is bad due to members posting there mods and somethings are not correct.

Fynnon 15th November 2008 01:06

I saw the post earlier but i forgot to edit it...i can`t do everything in here ~
Anyway freedom of speech is what we encourage here, of course not cursing and badmouthing others (except xam)

If someones opinion is that tbdev is bad then be it you cant have everybody love you ! Some people like PMBT others like Gazelle and others like tbdev...

Well we don`t like flaming and users atacks in here and i personally hate to ban someone...i prefer editing :-)
(you can fight as much as you want but with nice words please)

10x

dezza 15th November 2008 03:36

I do not want to discuss whether TBdev is a good source or not, I agree that it has alot of supporting members and that it might be a good place to start coding, but I still wonder why no-one started started replacing prints and other leftovers like all the deprecated functions in PHP5/6 (magic quotes for example) ..

Don't take it as personal offence, I just say, that is not my coding style, and I still wonder why someone didn't create an open-source alternative that is more clean and up-to-date.. I apologize.

joeroberts 15th November 2008 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezza (Post 6583)

:lol: the time between print and echo is so minute its not even worth mentioning.
Quote:

Originally Posted by php.faqts
1. Speed. There is a difference between the two, but speed-wise it
should be irrelevant which one you use. echo is marginally faster
since
it doesn't set a return value if you really want to get down to the
nitty gritty.

2. Expression. print() behaves like a function in that you can do:
$ret = print "Hello World"; And $ret will be 1. That means that print
can be used as part of a more complex expression where echo cannot. An
example from the PHP Manual:

$b ? print "true" : print "false";

print is also part of the precedence table which it needs to be if it
is
to be used within a complex expression. It is just about at the bottom
of the precedence list though. Only "," AND, OR and XOR are lower.

3. Parameter(s). The grammar is: echo expression [, expression[,
expression] ... ] But echo ( expression, expression ) is not valid.
This would be valid: echo ("howdy"),("partner"); the same as: echo
"howdy","partner"; (Putting the brackets in that simple example
serves
no purpose since there is no operator precedence issue with a single
term like that.)

So, echo without parentheses can take multiple parameters, which get
concatenated:

echo "and a ", 1, 2, 3; // comma-separated without parentheses
echo ("and a 123"); // just one parameter with parentheses

print() can only take one parameter:

print ("and a 123");
print "and a 123";

so I think you need to be a little more under standing about what you say and not just go off repeating what you hear!!

Laffin 16th November 2008 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezza (Post 6743)
Don't take it as personal offence, I just say, that is not my coding style, and I still wonder why someone didn't create an open-source alternative that is more clean and up-to-date.. I apologize.

And why havent u answered your own challenge? Since Yer Coding Style is far superior.... I mean from yer statements ya sound like yer better than the coders at tbdev (Oh Wait, I'm on TBDev as well).

This sounds much like the noobish thoughts. TBDev was created by a bunch of ppl, so saying that it's style is crap, pretty much speaks for u as a coder.
As most coders know, they will be 100's of ways of doing the same thing, and not 1 of them is gonna be more correct than the other. And thats why tbdev coders learn so much in so little time. The diversity of styles of code.

dezza 16th November 2008 15:52

Yes several parts can be faster if you do it different..

- There are places where switches are faster than if/else statements
- You can use mysqli, since it will be faster and more secure, for example because you do not have to sqlescape it.
- Co-ersion instead of (int)

I can keep on finding examples since so many tingered with that code.

If you want to keep on repeating each other then you are welcome.. This thread can be as long as you like .. :smack: But send one monk and let him speak instead of the whole church to represent TBdev lol.:sleep: There are still people waiting for support on your forum you know.

Like Fynnon said 1st post this is no TBdev-site, we want alternatives to TBdev, if you want to whine about that, go whine in your own forum.

bvlist story, omg..

Laffin 17th November 2008 10:32

Nuther words, ya detract from doing yer own tracker.

Thanks, nuff said about yer codig skills :)

tomasasg 7th June 2009 00:12

Hay

thanks