Bravo List
Register
Go Back   > Bravo List > P2P > Forum > Community Cafe
Old 8th October 2013, 07:38

P2P
Question Server migration for TSSE
(I decided to create a new post as not to mix up with my semi-unrelated questions on a previous one.)

Hi,
I have some version of TSSE (3.1?)

I need to migrate to another server.
Hopefully the PHP and MySQL part is relatively straight forward.
My question is: what steps should I take for minimum downtime and for the tracker not to break?

I'm not familiar with the technical mechanics of a PHP tracker. How can a tracker be moved while there are users "following" it?
I'm not talking about temporary loss of connection!!! I'm talking once the site is back online how can all the clients continue with their up/downloads and all the stats be back on track?

Does my question make any sense?...

thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 09:08
VIP

buy the new server, install LAMP on it.. Linux Apache Mysql Php, or instead of apache you could use lighttpd or nginx. after that change the dns on the domain you have and people will continue to access it on the new server
Install phpMyadmin for a better interface to work with your mysql databases
Use iptables to block some ips, activate your firewall to prevent ddos attacks and that is it.
Of course you need to install modules for php, maybe your script requires them, such as memcache, apc, mcrypt, perl, and so on...
and always make sure your server it is up-to-date.
The Following User Says Thank You to DND For This Useful Post:
stanto (8th October 2013)
Old 8th October 2013, 14:54

P2P
Thanks.

Thats the normal way to proceed with a migration.

I'd like to understand the mechanics of the tracker though and how it can keep tracking correctly after an IP change. Unless it works with pure DNS... ?
Old 8th October 2013, 15:18
VIP

it is keeping track after the domain that is set in the configuration files of the source, obviously.(baseurl/announce url)
if you change the domain, i guess, you need to change the config also, it makes sense.
but if you only change the server, you just need to pinpoint the domain to the new ip/dns/nameserver
Old 8th October 2013, 15:33
SUPPORT GURU

P2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanto View Post
Thanks.

Thats the normal way to proceed with a migration.

I'd like to understand the mechanics of the tracker though and how it can keep tracking correctly after an IP change. Unless it works with pure DNS... ?
You don't have to worry about your ip as it will be according to your domain name in most cases. After you have migrated your/users torrents will seed on the next announce interval.

If you are are currently using a VPS/DEDI to best option will be to tarball your sourcecode and backup your db and then you can use WGET to copy it across from serv to serv.

Please Support Majority Report

You can contact me on Skype live:phesadent.elect but please let me know first.

If you are ever need me desperately then please email me at dan.oak44@gmail.com and I will contact u within a week.

Due to free time I'm able to help interested member's with their tracker.

Please Note!
Depending on your requests I will charge you for my assistance for Tracker installs and mods.
All my mods are custom and prices will very depending on the request.
I'm able to install any tracker and mods including themes.

Please PM me

Old 8th October 2013, 16:44
VIP

i don't think he knows about wget, db, tarball, and so on. :)
Old 8th October 2013, 20:17

P2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNeDe View Post
i don't think he knows about wget, db, tarball, and so on. :)
Actually I do and quite well.
I guess I have difficulty explaining the fact - as I wrote in my Intro post - that I am *quite* technical when it comes to *nix. As a user.
I have also installed and played with LAMP setups etc. Never on a production server and only for fun. So no serious experience.

I also code semi-professionally on BASH, KSH, Python and Fortran and some C/C++ and have been modifying HTML sites for the last 10 years + some PHP and CSS along the way.. I am a geek ! Just completely new to the tracker world!!!

Enough about me, let's stick to the technical details for others to benefit. I don't think anyone gives a $**t about my CV

The problem is: I *DO* understand a simple migration but I wasn't sure how a tracker would "react". firefly007 cofirmed my suspicions: it's a URL issue and not an IP so the DNS takes care of it.

HOW is the announce interval setup in TSSE (3.1) and I guess most trackers here???? Is it a cron or some internal PHP periodic clock ?

Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 23:45
BT.Manager Owner

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanto View Post
(I decided to create a new post as not to mix up with my semi-unrelated questions on a previous one.)

Hi,
I have some version of TSSE (3.1?)

I need to migrate to another server.
Hopefully the PHP and MySQL part is relatively straight forward.
My question is: what steps should I take for minimum downtime and for the tracker not to break?

I'm not familiar with the technical mechanics of a PHP tracker. How can a tracker be moved while there are users "following" it?
I'm not talking about temporary loss of connection!!! I'm talking once the site is back online how can all the clients continue with their up/downloads and all the stats be back on track?

Does my question make any sense?...

thanks
Posts a notice to your users 48 hours in advance that site well be free leach and there well be no new uploads.
down load a fresh back up of your data base and files.
move all to your new server.
Alter your DNS server with your new server IP.
after 48 hours everyone should be pointing to your new server.
remove free leech.
go to old server and delete your old files and data base Done.

Changing servers is very easy and people do it all the time.
I will no longer help you setup your site, there is a setup script if you have trouble with it post in the forum here or in BT.Manager™ forum
My Current Demo is here http://demo.btmanager.org/
Old 9th October 2013, 01:51

P2P
Ok got it !

But what "wakes up" the tracker for the announce interval - or is it a continuous process from the announce "hits" to the DB ?
Old 9th October 2013, 02:13
SUPPORT GURU

P2P
Its set at internals that will run according to the configuration.

Please Support Majority Report

You can contact me on Skype live:phesadent.elect but please let me know first.

If you are ever need me desperately then please email me at dan.oak44@gmail.com and I will contact u within a week.

Due to free time I'm able to help interested member's with their tracker.

Please Note!
Depending on your requests I will charge you for my assistance for Tracker installs and mods.
All my mods are custom and prices will very depending on the request.
I'm able to install any tracker and mods including themes.

Please PM me

Tags
migration , server , tsse