Bravo List
Register
Go Back   > Bravo List > P2P > Forum > Community Cafe
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:28

P2P
Post Some info needed
Hi guys

Where would be the safest place to host a private tracker when it comes to legalities?

Also, which would be the best way (VPS, dedi, etc.) to host it and store the .torrent files?

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:41
VIP

nowhere is safe.. :))
but you can try canada, iceland, sweden(piratebay was here and taken down), russia, france and other more exotic countries

dedi/vps server with SAS or SSD storage drive for torrent files

dedi server for site and tracker. :)

1. Server/VPS (Debian,CentOS,Ubuntu,Fedora, FreeBSD) Optimization and ... + Modules
  2. Webserver Windows/Linux (Apache/Lighttpd/Nginx/Mysql/PhpMyAdmin/SSL) Optimization and ... + Modules
  3. Seedbox Windows/Linux (uTorrent,rTorrent,libTorrent,ruTorrent) + Modules
  4. Multiple source code engines
  5. Linux Server Administration (security, cryptography/encryption, proxy, load balancer, custom ddos firewall)

Last edited by DND; 4th January 2015 at 03:33.
Old 4th January 2015, 02:04

P2P
Russia or Iceland always my first 2 places. Also you can some france servers for seeders and stuff....

Old 4th January 2015, 13:02

P2P
Thanks guys.

Do you suggest hosting the index (.torrent files) independantly?
Is there some place those can be safely dumped? We will obviously host none of the content those files point to. Another thing, a rule on the tracker will be added that downloads are only allowed from a seedbox. This tracker is intended to be as safe, hidden and secure as possible. Also looking at a built in VPN for the tracker if that is possible.
Old 4th January 2015, 13:45
VIP

you do realise that allowing only seedbox would require a HUGE database of ips all over the planet that have seedbox offerings or/and vps/dedi server
Example: Me as a user go on a small island as Ibiza and purchase 5 dedicated servers, turn them into seedboxes, installing rtorrent and other stuff.
How would your tracker know that i'm using a seedbox without contacting you ?

This would be a waste of time for most of the users.

1. Server/VPS (Debian,CentOS,Ubuntu,Fedora, FreeBSD) Optimization and ... + Modules
  2. Webserver Windows/Linux (Apache/Lighttpd/Nginx/Mysql/PhpMyAdmin/SSL) Optimization and ... + Modules
  5. Linux Server Administration (security, cryptography/encryption, proxy, load balancer, custom ddos firewall)
Old 4th January 2015, 14:24

P2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by DND View Post
you do realise that allowing only seedbox would require a HUGE database of ips all over the planet that have seedbox offerings or/and vps/dedi server
Example: Me as a user go on a small island as Ibiza and purchase 5 dedicated servers, turn them into seedboxes, installing rtorrent and other stuff.
How would your tracker know that i'm using a seedbox without contacting you ?

This would be a waste of time for most of the users.
Like most trackers we would just take it on faith. If they don't want to use a seedbox, so be it, as long as their connections are fast enough then. The tracker is still in development and final decisions on the rule set will be made later. We will enter a testing phase first. A seedbox is just added security for the user :)
Old 4th January 2015, 14:41
VIP

seedboxes aren't security for anything.
MPAA or whatever, RIAA..could easily check the ip address and see where the server is, then go to the datacenter and ask them to takedown that rack or the entire server.

Tags
info , needed