Thread: Linux Flavours
View Single Post
Old 12th November 2008, 04:09

Krypto, the wiki has alot of good documentation on setting up ArchLinux from the start to installing a window-manager like mine Openbox ..

Running ArchLinux Kernel 2.6.27 with Openbox and PyPanel on top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	772

Name:	shot1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	773

Name:	shot2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	774

and currently ... a few days ago ..

Name:	newshot.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	775

NVIDIA is absolutely the best support for Linux, you will have to use the official driver, most Linux-distributions come with a driver named "nv" but you have to replace that with "nvidia" (after installing the nvidia-package) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Depends what you need what is best..

I think you will have fun following the Beginners Guide with ArchLinux and setting up Xorg yourself and afterwards a Window-manager, if you download Debian you do not have any guide to follow except for the dry install-wizard or some random sites on the internet, Debian is not that good at documentation, but it really is a great system for a server, and also for the workstation, but it has a higher learning curve, but it doesn't mean it's better for the workstation, just different, I wouldn't choose Arch over Debian but right now I like Arch!

Folding@Home Stats - Team 163 (Linux)

IRC: dezza @ Freenode (#njlug, #archlinux, #archlinux.dk), P2P-Network (#primo-nordica, #primo-staff)